Saturday, March 5, 2011

Aramco life in the early 1950's

Just thought I would see if there is anyone out there that could find this blog. You may find it strange but I thought it a good place for a kid to grow up.
Boy Scout outing 1954

Dhahran Panthers Little League team 1954
 Star? outfielder for the Dhahran Panthers





 Mud hole on the road to Qaitif 1949 or 50
Ras Tanura fire dept. 1950
myself and a friend with the Dodge WDX Power Wagon fire truck that my father kept at home. you can see the fire trucks were white, as all other Aramco vehicles were red.
Me and my Dad and a desert going Kenworth
Al Khobar about 1953
Me and my Parents at Hofuf
Merry Christmas

Me and an Aramco DC-3 at Tapline pump station about 1953
Same plane, different moment. 
 Qaitif, 1949 or 50, my Dad in center.




I arrived in Saudi Arabia as a small boy in 1951 and lived there until 1955 in Ras Tanura and Dhahran.  These are a few scenes from a very few pictures I have left.



9 comments:

  1. Nostalgia! Came across your site while trolling for photos to decorate today's post, which came about when I was reminded of the days when the pharmacy at the Barbizon Plaza used to package flavorings for the Americans' bootleg hootch in a "first aid kit" of drugstore tonic bottles.

    What a place. I grew up in Ras Tanura during the 1950s but don't remember a boy named Kent. You must have been in a different class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos -- I spent the same years watching war-torn Germany rebuild. On the South Atlantic crossing going there and back, a Bechtel exec building Aramco facilities staked me on the horse race game in the ship's Promenade Lounge. I won $5 -- not sure my parents reminded me to pay him his $1 back. Thanks for all the work scanning and posting.
    jerry-va on speakeasy net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I've never lived in KSA but I've been working there over the past 10 years. These photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Dhahran from from 1953 - 1956. Loved it! Remember going to the Hobby Farm in Al Khobar where they kept our horses. Mrs. Hill was my second grade teacher (not my favorite unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too lived in Dhahran in the early 50's. I was very young but do have good memories of our time there. Suzanne Maitland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great memories. I was born in RT in 1951 and left in the early 60s. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm from Saudi Arabia and I like your pictures.
    If you have more old pictures foreastern saudi please send it to me my email is : kalowaid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Saudi Arabia and I like your pictures.
    If you have more old pictures foreastern saudi please send it to me my email is : kalowaid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kent, Doing a piece about aStanford ballplayer (Beau Branton) who played Little League in DH in 2010. Wanted to get some comments from earlier ballplayers. You? Chris christianklund@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete